Looking for the perfect winter treat? Look no further than creme brulee cookie bars!
I love an occasional dessert and was craving creme brulee, and I didn’t think it’d be appropriate to go to a restaurant and ask for dessert to go. So once I found this recipe I knew all of my problems had been solved.
Creme brulee cookie bars are the perfect mix between decedent dessert and convenient sweet treat.
Here’s how to make your own delicious custard from home!
- Cookie Base
- 1 pouch (17.5 oz) Betty Crocker™ sugar cookie mix
- 2 tablespoons Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- Custard Layer
- 5 egg yolks, room temperature
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Additional 1/3 cup granulated sugar, for topping
- Heat oven to 325°F. Spray bottom and sides of 13×9-inch pan with cooking spray. (Do not use glass; it cannot withstand the heat from the kitchen torch and may break.)
- In a large bowl, stir sugar cookie mix, flour, melted butter and egg until soft dough forms. Press evenly in bottom of the pan.
- Bake about 10 minutes or until just set.
- Transfer to cooling rack to cool slightly. Reduce oven temperature to 300°F.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat egg yolks, eggs and 1/2 cup sugar with a whisk until thick.
- Beat in whipping cream and vanilla. Pour over cookie base in pan.
- Bake 50 minutes to 1 hour or until custard layer is just set.
- Cool completely on cooling rack, about 1 hour; cover and refrigerate 2 hours.
- Just before serving, sprinkle top of custard layer evenly with 1/3 cup sugar.
- Holding kitchen torch 3 to 4 inches from custard, caramelize sugar on custard by heating with torch about 2 minutes, moving flame continuously over sugar in a circular motion
- Let stand at room temperature about 1 minute or until caramelized sugar hardens before cutting into bars. Cut into 6 rows by 4 rows.
Creme brulee cookie bars are great for late night snacking or parties and dinners. You can even refrigerate the un-caramelised cookies and caramelize it later.
I think these are the ultimate winter dessert and is so delicious! Let us know if you like these creme brulee cookie bars!