This is a perfect DIY project for the start of spring! This is a super simple and creative DIY that you can do with family or friends, and create custom doormats that show off your personal style.
This example uses a watermelon pattern that can be repeated or swapped with your favorite slice of fruit! Some other ideas are lemon slices, lime, apples and more! You can even ditch the stamp pattern all-together and paint your own ideas!
Here’s what you’ll need to get started!
- Straw Mat
- Acrylic Paint (pink, green, and black)
- Small Paint Brush
- Large Yellow Sponge
Here’s how to make your own!
- Cut your sponge into two pieces: one corner piece to make up the triangle part of your watermelon, one outer “c” shape to make the rind.
- Pour you pink paint into a plate or paint dish (the sponge and mat will soak up a lot of paint so be sure to add enough)
- Use your corner piece of the sponge to create a watermelon stamp on your mat. Repeat as many times to fill in empty spaces.
- With your green paint and “c” shaped sponge, stamp the rinds over the pink paint to create your watermelon pattern!
- With your smaller brush add seeds to your watermelon!
- Dry for 24 hours and set it out to greet guests!
Let your imagination guide your sponge and see what you can create! These make for a perfect gift for home warming, bridal showers, or a custom birthday present!
What will you make with some paint and a sponge? Share your doormat creation with us!